Our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) Tertiary Scholarships program provides financial support to students from disadvantaged backgrounds. This program works to address systemic barriers to education by increasing access to tertiary studies for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students. This helps to ensure that Scholarship recipients can achieve a better quality of life for themselves, their families and their communities. Through extensive consultations with students, mentors and supervisors from ATSI university community centres, appropriate and effective support mechanisms have been developed to meet the needs of Scholarship recipients.
Since the program started in 1998, there have been over 120 successful graduates from our scholarship program, many of whom were the first in their family to gain a tertiary education. There are currently 90 students receiving scholarships. The initiative offers three types of scholarships designed to significantly reduce the financial hardship and mental health challenges faced by ATSI students. It is accommodating of all fields of study making it even more appealing as a Scholarship Program of choice. All recipients receive mentoring and, if requested, pastoral guidance, as central support tools.
- To find out more about our Scholarship Program offering, please go to: https://www.marymackilloptoday.org.au/apply/
- The completion of a tertiary degree increases students’ abilities to overcome disadvantage; empower themselves; effect social change; and positively impact future generations of learners.
- The knowledge and skills acquired through education improves students earning potential and ability to invest wisely in their future and that of their families.
- The scholarships help relieve physical and emotional pressures associated with financial struggle, reducing the drop-out rate of ATSI students at tertiary education level.
- The beneficiaries have and continue to play an instrumental role in the design and redesign of the program, allowing us to improve and redesign as and if necessary