The main goal of education is the integral formation of students, including all the dimensions of development such as academic, ethical, artistic, emotional, physical, and cultural. To achieve this, parents are required to participate effectively in the education process and work productively with the teachers and community to support students through their development. However, in rural areas in Peru, parents often do not accompany their children in their education, or indeed play no role at all. This disadvantages the children in all dimensions of their development. In partnership with local organisation, Centro de Educación, Organización y Promoción del Desarrollo de Ilo (Centre for Education, Organisation and the Promotion of Development, Ilo), Mary MacKillop Today will take a comprehensive approach to enhancing parental involvement in education. We will train the teachers, students, and parents in the necessity of and means to generate parental involvement in order to enhance all of the dimensions of student development.
- Workshops for 86 teachers in 7 schools on how to strengthen the relationships between family, community, and teachers and benefit the formation of students.
- Workshops for 600 parents on how to play an effective role in their children’s education
- Regional meetings for teachers, Parent and Community Associations, and students to promote project successes
- Over 600 students will have enhanced their development through getting effective support from their family, school, and community
- 600 parents will be trained in contributing to the integral development of their children
- 86 teachers will be trained in strengthening the relationships between family, community, and teachers to benefit the formation of students
- Into the future, all 7 rural schools involved in the project will continue the training developed with oversight from district education institutions.
Enhancing the Educational Environment for School Students in Rural Peru receives support from the Australian Government through the Australian NGO Cooperation Program (ANCP).
Stories from our blog:
How to help
Donate: $375 could allow 5 teachers to attend a training workshop to become school peace mentors
Pray: Pray for peace, healing and unity in our troubled world.
Act: Leave a gift in your Will to continue the legacy of Mary MacKillop across the world.