Need a Loan? With us you pay no more.
No Interest. No Fees. No Charges.
Mary MacKillop Today’s No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) is an accredited program that was developed by Good Shepherd Sisters in 1981 and adopted by the Sisters of St Joseph and other agencies.
The loans do not attract interest and there are no fees. Loans are available for up to $1,500 for essential goods and services such as fridges, washing machines and medical procedures. Repayments are set up at an affordable amount over 12 to 18 months
How does NILS work?
NILS isn’t a payday loan and it’s not a bank loan. NILS works through a process called ‘circular community credit’. This means when a borrower makes a repayment to NILS, the funds are then available to someone else in the community. NILS loans are available through Mary MacKillop Today, supported by Good Shepherd Microfinance.
Watch the video to find out more!
Who can apply?
- Have lived at your previous or current home for 3 months or more. (This can be waived in exceptional circumstances, please contact us to discuss.)
- Have a current Healthcare Card or Pensioner Concession Card or be a low income earner (earn less than $45,000 before tax or less than $60,000 after tax for a couple or people with dependents).
- Have a willingness and ability to repay the loan in small fortnightly repayments.
You will require documentation to verify the above. Please contact us if you’re unsure if you qualify.
What we loan for
- Household items like fridges, washing machines, stoves, dryers, freezers and furniture
- Some medical and dental services
- Education essentials such as computers and text books
- Car registration or repairs
- Some essential services e.g. plumbing
- Other – funeral costs, bet costs, insurance excess and other items…
NILS loans cannot be used for rent, bills, cash or holidays.
How to apply
Contact us on : (02) 6331 2010
or email us at:
[email protected] or
go to our website:
As we are unfortunately unable to meet face to face, contact our
friendly team via phone or online to discuss your financial situation and
we will help you apply.
Your loan application and
supporting documentation will
be assessed against our
You will be notified if your loan has
been approved and the funds are paid
directly to the supplier.
Below is a table showing an example comparison between NILS and other loan providers. This is only a guide, please speak to our Financial Inclusion Officers if you have any questions – click the table to enlarge.
(Figures are correct as of August 2018 and taken from advertised Rent to Buy and Pay Lenders websites and calculated with Money Smart Calculators).
We’re here to help
Mary MacKillop Today’s Financial Inclusion Program does more than NILS, we can help you with a number of services, including;
• Referrals to appropriate services
If you’d like to apply call: (02) 6331 2010 between 9am-2pm or email: [email protected]oday.org.au or click on the below button to go to our website www.loansmarymackilloptoday.org.au
We have offices in Bathurst, Orange, Cowra, Lithgow and Young, however our services are not restricted to these areas so call our friendly team today!
NILS Bushfire Relief Update
On behalf of all our staff at Mary MacKillop Today, we want you to know that our hearts are with all those affected by the devastating bushfires across Australia. We offer our thoughts and prayers during this terrible and heartbreaking catastrophe and can only stand in awe at the courage and resilience of so many individuals, families and communities, including our incredible firefighting volunteers, who we are truly grateful for.
For those of you directly impacted by the bushfires, we want to provide you with how, in response to this unprecedented disaster, our Financial Inclusion program’s ‘No Interest Loans Scheme’ (NILS) has been updated to assist you:
- Existing NILS clients can renegotiate loan repayment terms or defer repayments on their loan to suit their needs
- Where the loan asset (e.g. fridge purchased with a NILS loan) has been destroyed or is not usable due to the bushfires, clients can apply to have the loan amount written off if there are no other options available (i.e. there will be no requirement for clients to pay back their loan)
- New clients can access a NILS ‘Bushfire Relief’ loan of up to $2,000 (increased from $1,500) with reduced requirements for documentation
Mary MacKillop Today’s NILS program is delivered in partnership with Good Shepherd Microfinance, and is generously supported by NSW Fair Trading, NAB Bank and DSS.